Tuesday 21 April 2020

"The Dare Game" by Jacqueline Wilson

Tracy Beaker used to live in a children's home but had now been fostered by Cam, the scruffy writer. But Tracy's Mum has decided she wants to see Tracy again.Will Tracy expect too much?

The second plot involves bunking off school with weedy dyspraxic Alexander and bovver boy Football. When they dare to jump from the window to climb a tree, will one of them get hurt?

Marvellous moments:

  • "She was boring boring boring and couldn't teach for toffee. She couldn't teach for fudge, nougat, licorice or Turkish delight." (No Home)
  • "Never mind Elaine's Inner Child. I am her Outer Child and it's mega-difficult to make contact with her, even when I bawl my head off." (Elaine's Home)
  • "I'm wishing with all my heart. And my lungs and my liver and my bones and my brains. All the strings of my intestines are tied in knots I'm wishing so hard." (Tracy and Alexander's home)
  • "I scrabbled and grabbed the next branch down, hanging on for dear life. Or lousy life. Any kind of life." (The Tree Home)
  • "Kids are always expected to be grateful grateful grateful. It's hateful being grateful." (The Garden Home)
  • "When we had our big hug hello she smelt stale underneath her lovely powdery scent." (Mum's Home (Again))
Books by Jacqueline Wilson reviewed in this blog:



April 2020; 238 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment