Wednesday 12 October 2022

I Could Be You" by Sheila Bugler

 A murder mystery set in my home town of Eastbourne. When Dee, a retired journalist, discovers the body of a woman, killed in a hit and run, she thinks it is her next-door neighbour and begins to investigate. But nothing is quite what it seems.

Typical of the genre. Structured with repeated flashbacks which made such puzzles as were posed even easier to guess. I found it a little difficult to believe in the credibility and motivations of some of the characters. Except for the knight in shining armour policeman, most of the male characters were either wicked or useless or both.

Selected quotes:

  • "If my life was a high-school rom com, Shane would be the guy I ended up with. The jock with a heart clever enough to see through the artifice of the shallow world we live in." (Ch 3)
  • "Louise's husband was a pilot ... 'He's good ... Has his ups and downs'" (Ch 5) I'm not sure if that was meant to be a joke.

October 2022; 376 pages

There are, so far, three sequels but I don't think I'll bother.



This review was written by

the author of Motherdarling 

and The Kids of God

No comments:

Post a Comment